Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

vibration and brakes

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by jsinton
OEM rotors are cheap. The metal is inferior quality. The pads seems to be dodgy too. It's ok if you drive everyday, clean off underneath a lot, or live in Arizona, and don't brake too hard.
I may agree with you that they are inferior quality. I do drive my car everyday, maybe left it for a week at the most. I do live in the north east so we get rain and snow. However, if it was rusted due to the car sitting for a week, wouldn't all four have rusted approx the same amount? If the metal was inferior, I would expect all 4 to be inferior. Unless the quality control is just inferior, in that case, I could have gotten bad rear rotors but ok front ones.

The calipar not working theory would explain the rust and the back not heating, but I would have expected to pad to not be worn as much, but it has worn faster than the front. Also, I would expect a difference between the left and right since I would think it is unlikely for both calipars to break the same way.

Anyways, I will be changing the pads and rotors myself so I'll try to find something that is good while not being too expensive.

Old 07-12-2009, 08:41 AM
Banned

Buy a kit like this. I put them on the Lexus, they're much better than OEM.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2006-...Q5fAccessories

Old 07-12-2009, 04:44 PM
Super Moderator

Don't waste your time with drilled and slotted rotors for a daily driver. Just buy good quality rotors like the Centric rotors I got from AutoPartsWarehouse.com:

Old 09-19-2013, 10:06 PM
Default similar brake issues

hey new guy here.

just bought a 2001 hyundai XG300L/118K/

brakes shudder when applied.
big vibration at 60mph

pretty good at DIY but can't find a repair manual.

anyone know if DIY brake pads and rotor replacement is something one can do at home?

anhone know where i can buy a copy of the owners manual/haynes/chilton i'd really appreciate it.

Old 09-20-2013, 06:44 AM
Super Moderator

If you've done brakes on a car before you won't have any problem doing the ones on your XG. Nothing out of the ordinary.

If you've never done brakes before, I'd suggest finding a friend that knows how to teach you. It's not something you should learn to do in a forum. Brakes are too important to "attempt" to fix. However, if you really want to try it, I'd suggest looking for a video on YouTube so you can see what's going on and then come back her to ask questions and get clarification on anything you're not sure about.