Hyundai Tucson The second offering in the compact SUV market from Hyundai.

2016 1.6l rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2023, 06:43 PM
Default 2016 1.6l rebuild

Does anyone know where to find a rebuild kit for the engine and trans and turbo of a 2016 Tucson with the 1.6l turbo?

Old 01-08-2023, 06:55 AM

Do you have the equip to do a real rebuild ?

Just replacing parts is not a rebuild without actually measuring for wear on certain parts and performing certain procedures.Could be spending time and $$ and not correcting the real problem .

Could there be some info you could have shared with us that leads you to feel a rebuild is required?

An example; special balancing equipment is REQUIRED, when doing work on turbos that spin at very high RPMs.

Old 01-08-2023, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by hanky
Do you have the equip to do a real rebuild ?

Just replacing parts is not a rebuild without actually measuring for wear on certain parts and performing certain procedures.Could be spending time and $$ and not correcting the real problem .

Could there be some info you could have shared with us that leads you to feel a rebuild is required?

An example; special balancing equipment is REQUIRED, when doing work on turbos that spin at very high RPMs.

yes I do have equipment, engine has 125k with no major repairs till now. I’m a marine diesel mechanic. The engine has massive oil loss via blow by on the piston rings as well as full of sludge, also a metallic stapling come if from the false train. The turbo also needs to be rebuilt or replaced as it also has oil blow by and compressor wheel does not spin freely. As well as lots of play in the bearing

Old 01-08-2023, 12:11 PM

As an experienced tech, no need to go any further with the need for measuring cyl bore and ring clearances.

Also , from experience, your best bet is to stay with OEM.
There are some aftermarket suppliers that offer various combinations of assorted parts depending on what you want to overhaul.
Some are ,,,,,,,,,,,,OK and some ,,,,,,,,oh well. Sounds like it was neglected as far as regular maintenance was concerned with a lot of sludge.
You have your work cut out for you, have a good one.
As you know, the engine should be allowed to idle a few minutes before shutdown and I would suspect that was not considered by previous owner which would contribute to turbo problems. What do you think?

Old 01-08-2023, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by hanky
As an experienced tech, no need to go any further with the need for measuring cyl bore and ring clearances.

Also , from experience, your best bet is to stay with OEM.
There are some aftermarket suppliers that offer various combinations of assorted parts depending on what you want to overhaul.
Some are ,,,,,,,,,,,,OK and some ,,,,,,,,oh well. Sounds like it was neglected as far as regular maintenance was concerned with a lot of sludge.
You have your work cut out for you, have a good one.
As you know, the engine should be allowed to idle a few minutes before shutdown and I would suspect that was not considered by previous owner which would contribute to turbo problems. What do you think?
yes I agree I’m trying to stay oem with it but I want to do full rebuild replace everything, and I’ve had my fair share of full rebuilds so it’s not too bad, but yes it was definitely neglected

Old 01-09-2023, 08:32 AM

If circumstances permit, we would appreciate hearing from you as to how the rebuild went , thanks.