Hyundai Tucson The second offering in the compact SUV market from Hyundai.

Battery short -

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2023, 08:56 AM
Default Battery short -

I have posted a couple of times but I really needsome help.

I purchased a 2015 Tuscon about 6 months ago and I think I know why it was traded in. Every so often the battery dies. We have replaced the battery and now the starter. It will drive fine then the next time we try to start the vehcile it's dead. The ignition also has issues. Occasionally the vehicle will try to turn over but won't engage, but will start with the remote start. In this case Jiggling the key and stomping on the gas will sometimes get the car to turn over. My mechanic can't seem to figure it out.

My question is can a short in the ignition cause the battery to short out. I was dismissed when I suggested this, (women know nothing about cars). I am totally frustrated and looking to take the vehilce to a different garage, but I would like to be better informed when I take it in. The vehicle is a key ignition not a push start.

Thanks

Old 04-27-2023, 02:24 PM

Dear CMcK,
You have already demonstrated your knowledge by the info you posted, good job.

From what you describe,,,, there might be what is called a parasitic drain.
There are all sorts of tests you can try, but what if you checked the rear wiper arm position on the rear hatch? Sometimes it gets jammed in a position other than park and will keep trying to park itself causing the battery to drain.

Certain things should be checked to insure they are working correctly among which could be battery cable and connections to battery and TO ENGINE.
If the engine cranks over and refuses to fire up and start we would check for fuel and spark. Depending on which one is absent, we then go from there to the system that controls that.function. It can get a little involved, so before putting forth a winded conversation , we would need to know which system to pursue. If the problem is intermittent , it can take a lot more time and effort to pin down.

There is a good possibility the ign sw may have a problem and that might be why the remotestart works and yet the key start does not.

Last edited by hanky; 04-27-2023 at 02:26 PM.
Old 04-29-2023, 11:06 AM

Thank you so much for your response I feel like I have a better understanding when I take it in.

Old 04-29-2023, 12:45 PM

If you would, Please get back to us and let us know what they found, thank you.

Old 05-09-2023, 01:32 PM

The saga continues. 🤞 We had a recall on the vehicle so we took it to the dealership and had them look at the issue. They initially wanted to change the starter until I explained that the starter was replaced just a week ago. I went over the issues again and they said they would get back to us. They came back with some corroded wires coming from the starter and the pivot ball on the shifter was seized. All in they charged $80.00 to clean up the wires and free up the pivot ball. That was yesterday we will see how things go.

Thanks for all the feedback.

Old 05-09-2023, 08:04 PM

Thank You for the update.

Old 05-24-2023, 06:40 AM

And the saga continues, the car was great for about 2 weeks then wouldn't start again. We could not even jump it. Had it towed back to the dealer. This time they found that the ground wire from the battery was faulty and that one of the battery cables is loose on the post. They are fixing both should have the vehicle back today. 😒

Old 05-25-2023, 06:19 AM

We don't like to make excuses for incomplete work, but it seems the dealership tech was probably rushed and did an incomplete diagnosis.
Since the bill for repair was paid and the problem is still present, , bring it back and give them another chance to find what they might have overlooked earlier.

Old 07-07-2023, 07:23 AM
Default Update

I wanted to wait a few weeks just to make sure, but I think they finally fixed the issue. It's been 6 weeks and the car starts and runs great. The people at the dealership were awesome.
Thanks for all the help.