New Member Area Are you new?? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 Hyundai sonata lights dimming over and over

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2020, 08:20 AM
Default 2011 Hyundai sonata lights dimming over and over

2011 Hyundai sonata gls my lights are dimming over and over this includes the headlights and overhead lights the dash does it a little too. I changed the alternator which I have changed 4 times now in 5 years. Any ideas what my next step is cause changing the alternator did not fix the problem. It started of with a slight dim now it's over and over like a flicker.

Old 03-05-2020, 08:15 AM

A few questions,
Where did you get the replacement alternators?
Were any tests done to confirm the alternator was the problem?
Some places that sell replacement alternators will test the alt to determine if it is defective.
Who is doing the work, you or another shop?
Now the why's,,,,,
Of course testing the alt removed or on the car can save a lot of work and $$$.
Whoever is doing the work is not doing the complete job, and that is to check all the connections from the alt and battery going to the rest of the vehicle.

There is an old saying, if after replacing the starter 3 times, guess what ,It ain't the starter !!
The same can also apply to the alt. We should be able to provide some guidance with this, but the answers to the above are required first.

Old 03-05-2020, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by hanky
A few questions,
Where did you get the replacement alternators?
Were any tests done to confirm the alternator was the problem?
Some places that sell replacement alternators will test the alt to determine if it is defective.
Who is doing the work, you or another shop?
Now the why's,,,,,
Of course testing the alt removed or on the car can save a lot of work and $$$.
Whoever is doing the work is not doing the complete job, and that is to check all the connections from the alt and battery going to the rest of the vehicle.

There is an old saying, if after replacing the starter 3 times, guess what ,It ain't the starter !!
The same can also apply to the alt. We should be able to provide some guidance with this, but the answers to the above are required first.
I got them at orileys the guy there did test the battery and the alternator in the car he said the battery was fine but didn't like the voltage coming from the alternator. So he gave me a new one I do the work myself when it comes to replacing the alternator 2 bolts 2 connectors never a big deal. This is the first time I have worked on a newer car I have always had older vehicles. I am in a sonata group and I was told it looks like a bad ground wire maybe you guys might make sense of that.

Old 03-05-2020, 04:14 PM

Let's see if we can help somewhat .
Sometimes a little process of elimination helps and also what works and doesn't work.

Usually if there is a starting problem with the problem your vehicle seems to exhibit, we would look at the battery cables and cable connections.
Since a starting problem is not present, that leads us to the power supply to the remaining parts of the vehicle. That starts right at the connection from the battery positive post to the fuse panels. If you don't have a meter to use , you will need to do the best you can with a visual inspection of the connections at the fuse panels.
If nothing else is affected by the flickering lights and dash lights , I would be a little suspicious of the connections starting at the fuse panel and going into the vehicle supplying power to the lighting system. Sometimes just removing and reinstalling a slightly corroded fuse can get rid of the connection problem if there.

If all that checks out , now we go to the ground wire connections. There is usually a wire that comes from the battery negative post or cable connection and goes to the body or sheetmetal of the vehicle.They require a little more effort because they should be removed , cleaned and reinstalled. Keep in mind the connection can look secure and OK, but still have corrosion underneath.So that is why it has to be removed and cleaned and reinstalled.If nothing is found that causes the problem , that brings up another question. When the alt was checked,did they check the output at the alt or at the battery. If they checked it at the alt , yes it's good but if the wire to the battery from the alt has a questionable connection ,that coild cause a flickering problem. How about you do those checks and let us know what you find, OK ?