New Member Area Are you new?? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2017 Accent Problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2023, 02:24 PM
Default 2017 Accent Problem

I got this 2017 used last year with 101k on it. It's been pretty good. It consumes about a quart of oil every 1000 miles but I monitor it closely. I had the plugs and coils done about 7 months ago after a misfire. The mechanic said the plugs were fouled. Everything was fine after that until now.
I was driving one day and felt a shudder around 40 MPH. Thought it was the transmission so I changed the fluid. But it kept getting a little worse ...happening at around 20 MPH and at 60 MPH. This was intermittent so it didn't always happen. Also the check engine light popped on and stayed on. Then a few days later day when it was happening the check engine was flashing. So then I knew it was a misfire. I took it to Advance Auto and they scanned it. It came back with codes for Random Misfire and Run Lean. I checked for vacuum leaks but there was nothing obvious. Didn't smoke test it or anything.
I drove it for another week and it got progressively worse. I didn't always flash with a misfire in that time but overall It was getting worse and became to unsafe to drive because of lack of power, so I took to the shop. They told me the high pressure fuel pump was no good. But it was $1100 for the repair, so I decided to take it home and order one and do it myself.
Well I replaced that along with the tappet roller underneath it. It's right on top of the engine and was very easy. After replacing it the car runs the same. No power when accelerating. Just doesn't really want to go. It's always idled fine though. So at this point I have no idea.