General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

dpkpr-Hyundai Accent GLS petrol

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 11:46 AM
Default dpkpr-Hyundai Accent GLS petrol

I have a 2002 model Accent GLS clocked 1,00,000 kms. Since last 15,000 kms I had been noticing regular usage of oil even though I got checked that there was no leakage etc. The car was pulling fine so apparently no compression problem also.
Well on the advice of my mechanic I got its Rings changed. During this process it was seen that the pistons & the linings were in perfect condition. Nothing else was then touched.
Before this process the Emission readings were as: CO-0.56, HC-171 on idling.
After this work I have driven for 400 kms. and the readings are CO-1.12, HC-224. HC readings are well below the benchmark of emission norms which is 750 but CO should be below 0.50. At this stage I cannot comment of the usage of the engine oil. The car is still running fine.
Am unable to understand what is wrong & how should this problem be tackled?
dpkpr

Old 02-21-2009, 12:18 PM
Banned

well if they're within the norms i wouldn't worry about it. tracking down emission problems can be a total bastard and very expensive.

that being said, its normal for some fluctuations. a big factor is how warm the vehicle was when last tested and when oil changes were done between tests, etc.

as for losing oil thats what i'd concentrate on for now. by the sounds of things it isn't burning it if your mechanic did a compression/leakdown test and came back fine. that means that its leaking somewhere, likely one of the engine seals. look into getting a UV test kit. you put some dye into the oil and run the car for a while as normal. shine the light around and the dye glows where oil has been.

Old 02-22-2009, 12:32 AM

Thanks for the suggestion. I will try to see if the UV test can help further. Wud get back.

Old 02-22-2009, 07:33 AM
Banned

You had the rings changed? How much oil were you losing? A Liter between changes? If the pistons and the linings were perfect, chances are the rings were fine. Ususally the valves and the valve seals are where the oil burns unless you have more like 400,000 km. You say you only have 100,000 KM? Thats nothing. The mechanic was just making money on you. Modern cars burn a little oil anyway. Especially the Euro Accents, they have really underpowered motors, so you have to drive them really hard, thus they burn oil.

And now you are worried about the emissions???? Somehow the logic here escapes me. If you want to do something about emissions, then change the catalytic converter and the O2 sensors.