General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Rear drum brakes

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2019, 06:00 PM
Default Rear drum brakes

I have a question .. I work as a fleet mechanic for a car lot ..big corporation .. anyways my job is to certify rentals, recondition them so that they can be put out for sale .. we get a few hyundais in .. my problem is the rear drum brakes .... (a little background of my situation.. I have always had a problem with doing drum breaks .. I always had a hard time .. so for the last few years I have taken pictures and examined every make and model of vehicle that has come to me for inspection. Since my job is repetitive. . I made a study of the drum brakes , tools to make the job easier and technique's that would aid my to get them done accurately in a decent time ..I'm still about 30 mins a side -_-).. upon my inspection of the hyundai drum brakes , I actually pulled up on all data a tsb for the inspection for leaks in the rear wheel cylinders.. now every hyundai I touch ..as I do a rear clean and adjust on all vehicles with drums.. I always check to make sure the wheel cylinders are dry .. free from brake fluid .. I push on the boot's with my finger and I tell you what every hyundai I touch .. Brake fluid pours out .. every single one .. but then after thinking about this again this last week .. none of the other guys in the shop seem to be concerned. . I also notice especially on the accents .. that there is always heat damage , so much as to discolor the wheel cylinder's to look burnt , glazed shoes , and even hot enough that the black paint on the drums has appeared to burn off leaving the drums rusty .. I just need to know .. am I trippen? Does anyone else know anything of this? My thought is that if there is break fluid leaking out from the boots of the wheel cylinder when I push on it , that it needs to be replaced ! But every single vehicle I touch ??? And I'm the only one out of 9 techs that even seems to be concerned .. which concerns me because brakes are the most important thing on a vehicle in my opinion. . And I don't want to be responsible for the vehicles future owners brake failure .. thanks for your time reading this

Old 09-18-2019, 06:07 PM

These are all newer vehicles by the way mostly 2016 and up

Old 09-19-2019, 07:03 AM

Even though the front disc require more pressure, the front disc brakes do more of the work in stopping a vehicle.
Do you mean the wheel brake cylinders do not retract when the brake lever is released?
Or are you arbitrarily pressing on the brake cylinder?
Are the boots damaged?
During regular operation, does the wheel cylinder leak brake fluid?

I am trying to figure out what is happening for the brake fluid to leak out.
In normal operation, it should not leak
Touching or pressing on it and leaking is not a test I would do
And if there is a serious problem then reporting it to the Govt and making complaints is one way to go

Why don't you ask the opinions of the other shop techs?

Old 09-19-2019, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by avisitor
Even though the front disc require more pressure, the front disc brakes do more of the work in stopping a vehicle.
Do you mean the wheel brake cylinders do not retract when the brake lever is released?
Or are you arbitrarily pressing on the brake cylinder?
Are the boots damaged?
During regular operation, does the wheel cylinder leak brake fluid?

I am trying to figure out what is happening for the brake fluid to leak out.
In normal operation, it should not leak
Touching or pressing on it and leaking is not a test I would do
And if there is a serious problem then reporting it to the Govt and making complaints is one way to go

Why don't you ask the opinions of the other shop techs?
It when I do a rear clean and adjust ..I do it with all vehicles that have drum brakes . I inspect them before I clean and adjust them , to make sure everything looks good , during my inspections I check to see of there is any brake fluid seeping out of the wheel cylinders . None of the other makes and models I work on have this problem . I have always been under the impression that If i found brake fluid is present , the part should be replaced . The other techs don't seem to have that opinion .. however I stopped asking them when I asked a tech about the boots being torn he just said they flip the boot around so that it can't be seen . I feel that is wrong to .. I don't feel this problem is normal .

Old 09-19-2019, 02:29 PM

There are all kinds of people out there doing vehicle repairs.
Some of us know the right thing to do and some others couldn't care less.

To my best recollection, slight wetness behind the wheel cyl boots is considered normal . It is supposed to be from the cups lubricating the bore inside the wheel cyl.
Again good practice suggests if there is fluid leaking out of the wheel cyl when the boot is opened, that is considered excessive and should be corrected.
You no doubt have a supervisor that is responsible for what work you folks do. Sometimes we have to do as we are told and yet we are still held responsible. Have you checked with your supervisor ? We would like to hear just what his/her instructions are. We have all been hit with the expression, "No good deed goes unpunished".