Hyundai Accent Offered in a 2 or 3 door hatchback, or 4 door sedan ,this compact offers room to seat 4 people and excellent economy.

2003 Hyundai Accent Fueling Problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2018, 03:13 AM
Default 2003 Hyundai Accent Fueling Problem

Hi, I've been driving this 03 Accent for a few months now and the only real issue I've had is that every time I go to fill my tank, when I start my car next it will only crank, leaving me to have to let go and try again. This goes on for 2 or 3 times before it'll begin to start, and even then I have to rev the engine afterwards to get it to fully start (this has failed once so far and the car turned completely back off). On top of this, for the remainder of the time that I drive the car until the motor fully cools off, the acceleration hesitates and I'll end up going faster or slower than expected without even realizing it. The car does good on oil (haven't had a single problem, doesn't use any or anything like that) though I've noticed my water settles at below the low sign but I haven't had any issues with it (the gauge has never gone above the midway mark on my dash). I'm curious to know whether this is a common issue or something that doesn't happen often. Are there any fixes to this problem? Thank you for any assistance you can provide.

Old 08-19-2018, 07:23 PM

It could be the Evap emissions system ... ???
The vent valve or path out through the charcoal canister is blocked and the vapor is going through the purge valve
All those fumes choke the cylinders with too much fuel and there is no proper burn

Don't remember if there is a clear flood mode for this car??
Depress gas pedal all the way down and crank for three seconds
Then start engine as usual.

If not then maybe the fuel pump ... ??
In a quiet setting, turn the key to the on position and listen for the fuel pump to prime the fuel rail
If it doesn't then the fuel pump may not be running during the cranking of the engine

Good luck

Old 08-20-2018, 05:34 AM

The purge valve is probably stuck.
From what I have researched, you should replace the purge valve.
This is a fairly common problem, from what I have been reading. Hope this helps you.