Hyundai Accent Offered in a 2 or 3 door hatchback, or 4 door sedan ,this compact offers room to seat 4 people and excellent economy.

Synthetic Transmission Fluid

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2005, 03:06 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Synthetic Transmission Fluid

Very cool, happy to hear that synthetic has once again saved the day.

Old 12-23-2005, 08:29 PM

Brant, I'm kinda late here but on any automatic tranny, draining the trans pan will get approximately half of the fluid out of it. the rest of it is in the torque converter and held in the clutch paks.

If you ever pull the pan again to do it, add a drain plug. makes life easier.

Old 12-24-2005, 12:01 AM

errr on major caution!!! if you have any trouble with your tranny and the dealer finds out you put anything other than hyundia sp3 in their, your warrenty is in the toilet!!! i work at a hyundia dealership, and see it on a regular basis that poeple have tranny flushes done elsewhere whish usually always use regular mercon/dextron, which toastes the tranny, and it comes from the customers pocket!!

Old 12-24-2005, 08:19 PM

The drain plug is a great idea!! As for the warrenty, I checked with Amsoil & my dealership before doing so. Since no alterations were made of any kind and the fluid is compadable to Hyundai's. Everything is cool.
Brant

Old 12-30-2005, 10:29 AM
Super Moderator

that could have been scary, way to plan ahead sarge.

Old 12-30-2005, 09:37 PM

Poach,
Scary would not be the word I'd use. Amsoil was hesitant at first when answering my question about the switch. The Hyundai dealer was also a bit hesitant however, after researching the product they stated it would have no effect on my warrenty. So off I went, right across the street, had the Cottman man do the dirty work. $65.00 bucks plus tax & estimated 45 minutes later the job was done. I don't understand why the car manufacturers don't use this stuff. It's far better all round and I bet most folks wouldn't mind laying out an extra few bucks for the synthetic ATF.
Brant

Old 12-31-2005, 07:43 AM

Hyundai specs a ceretain kind of fluid, what most people dont realize is that if Hyundai was to tell you that you could only use their fluid and filter in order to maintain the warranty, under something called the Moss-Magnuson act they would have to do the maintnence for free if that was the case.

my 99 doesn't call for a gluid and filter change in auto tranny for 102,000 miles.

as far as fluid, you can use just about anything slippery in an automatic transmission. it is a hydraulic transmission.

by using the fluid that meets specs the manufacturer desired, you will find that the transmission operates in the manner the MAN desired.

you could use engine oil in a auto tranny, but the shift charactersitics might be different.

Dexron is probably the main type of fluid, somebody else may call say their particular fluid need s to meet their own standard when in fact that standard is just a renaming of Dexron.

Old 01-07-2006, 05:45 AM
Super Moderator

interesting facts Mr. KICK

Old 01-08-2006, 04:07 AM

Mr. Kick;
I am sure many read what you posted and just laughed and were afraid to tell you that you are totally wrong on this

as far as fluid, you can use just about anything slippery in an automatic transmission. it is a hydraulic transmission.

by using the fluid that meets specs the manufacturer desired, you will find that the transmission operates in the manner the MAN desired.

you could use engine oil in a auto tranny, but the shift charactersitics might be different.

Dexron is probably the main type of fluid, somebody else may call say their particular fluid need s to meet their own standard when in fact that standard is just a renaming of Dexron.

This is only my opinion but I feel certain that my opinion is shared by many thousands of Hyundai owners and I would like to warn anyone that does not want extensive repair bills and loss of warranty to not follow such off the wall advice.
W.Y.

Old 01-09-2006, 08:38 AM

ORIGINAL: William Young

Mr. Kick;
I am sure many read what you posted and just laughed and were afraid to tell you that you are totally wrong on this

This is only my opinion but I feel certain that my opinion is shared by many thousands of Hyundai owners and I would like to warn anyone that does not want extensive repair bills and loss of warranty to not follow such off the wall advice.
W.Y.
Mr. Young, just because you've never heard of it doesn't mean it aint true.

there arent thousands of people on this board so who gives a shyt what the rest of the Hyndai owners think?

If you read into what I said, you will notice that I didn't tell anybody to use motor oil, just that it will work. In fact it will work fine BUT the shift characterisitics will be different.

some of the people that are on this board are the kind of WEENies who go to the dealer to get their oil changed and get hosed on all things mechanical. So what I'm trying to imply is that the automatic tranny doesn't particularly care what kind of oil it gets, just that the manufacturer specs a certain kind to get the desired shift characterisitics.

I guess you missed that.

some of them are willing to learn and some of them have their heads stuck in the sand or somewhere else, what ever the case may be.

they don't know that an automatic transmission uses Hydraulic Pressure to engage the clutches ,that the engine provides rotational power thru the torque converter to the input shaft of the transmission thru what is termed a fluid coupling.. they dont understand vortex flow, the difference between the turbine and the pump, what a planetary gear is as comparied to the helical or hypoid gear etc....

they assume that an automatic transmission is magic and that the clutches and torque converter have to have SPECIAL OIL or they wont work. they assume that if they dont use this SPECIAL OIL the whole thing will go up in smoke. This is what dealers and mechanics want you to believe because it lines their pockets.

so the car owners are told to think transmission fluid is SPECIAL and you must use Hyundai Fluid # whatever in order for your warranty to be valid.

they dont know that the Moss Magnuson act forbids a manufacturer of a vehicle from spec'ing a certain type of oil and making you use it to keep you vehicle under warranty. the law states if the manufacturer insists on one type of oil toprotect the warranty the manufacturer must provide it for free.

I dont even know what Hyundai tells anybody as far as service on the automatic tranny except mine, but mine says to service it at 102,000 miles which is well past the warranty anyway.

speaking of warranty MR YOUNG, are you of the opinion that if you didn't change the tranny oil with theirs that they wouldn't honor the rest of the warranty. ????

I'm willing to bet that 75% of the automobiles on the road have never had the transmission fluid replaced.

KICK...

Quick Reply: Synthetic Transmission Fluid