Hyundai Elantra While not much larger than the accent, the Elantra offers similar room, but a sportier look and feel, as well as more power.

1997 Elantra Close Canister Valve

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by Green97GLS
Ok i went to Hyundai today and got a new CCV, replaced. Cleared code with a scanner and the code came back P0446. Ideas?
Here are some diagnostic steps published in TSB 96-30-006 found at http://www.hmaservice.com/. The last item is of interest, see if you can blow air through the old valve. If so, the valve isn't faulty.

DIAGNOSTIC PROCEDURES:

The following procedures are used to diagnose the Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC) listed above.

Check the purge control valve by blowing through the valve with the engine off. If any air passes through the valve, it is faulty. Replace the canister and purge control valve. Be certain the lines in the system are free of debris, and retest the system to see if the purge valve operation is correct.

If no air passes through the valve, check the voltage at the DPS. A properly operating system should have about 2.4 to 2.8 volts at the DPS with the purge solenoid "off," and 1.5 to 2.5 volts with the purge solenoid "on."

If the voltage is very low, check the two way valve (small blue plastic valve at the canister) and make sure the arrow on the valve is pointing toward the CCV.

Check the vent lines and canister for restriction. You should be able to blow through the canister and CCV with the engine off. Be certain that all the lines in the system are free of debris and verify the integrity of the charcoal canister.

Old 05-25-2009, 09:38 PM
Default Fixed

Was tooling around and checked the Purge valve. When I grabbed it, it suddenly started ticking & vibrating, and then when I let it go, it stopped. I unplugged it and tried cleaning it out and still got an intermittant power situation.

Stopped at a local junk yard, and bought it new for 15 bucks, and reset the light, over 150 miles since the replacement and no check engine light! Looks like I finally got this car fixed.

Thanks for all your help guys!

Old 05-25-2009, 09:58 PM
Banned

Good for you! That's interesting you were getting canister valve codes when it was the purge valve with the problem.

Old 05-27-2009, 05:32 PM
Default Yes..very

Yes i thought that was interesting too. Odd, but still not check engine light and the car is running great.

Old 06-22-2009, 12:15 AM

I have a 1997 Elantra GLS with the 0446 Error code. I tried to find the Canister...no dice. I took out the battery and poked around. Does anyone here have any advice for me on how to get to it? Thanks!

While we are here, anyone know how to check if the Air Bag module is bad? I have a Air Bag light on, but they never discharged.

Thanks!

Old 06-22-2009, 05:32 AM
Banned

Canister might be under the gas filler tube underneath the car in a square plastic box like the later models. Earlier models were in front under the hood.

You need a ODB II code scanner with airbag capability before you do anything with the airbag. Airbags can kill you, be careful. Unhook the batter for 30 minutes before any disassembly.

Old 06-22-2009, 07:08 AM
Default Canister location...

Hey Dradien,

I found my canister on the driver side, in front of the drivers side wheel behind the wheel well cover. You'll have to unscrew the wheel well cover and it will be right behind it towards the bottom.

-Ant

Old 07-20-2009, 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by Green97GLS
Hey Dradien,

I found my canister on the driver side, in front of the drivers side wheel behind the wheel well cover. You'll have to unscrew the wheel well cover and it will be right behind it towards the bottom.

-Ant
It seems the stupid ****ing thing is stuck on. Cannot get some of those screws out and I dont wanna rip them out and be SOL. On one of those above pics, someone removed the drivers side turning signal and apparently it is right behind it. Can someone give me a guide on how to do that? I'd be much obliged. Thanks!

Old 07-20-2009, 07:29 AM
Banned

Actually, it's really easy to get the turn signal out. If memory serves me, you just remove the screw on top, and it basically just falls out. Sometimes the little rubber grommets hold it in a little, you just pry it out. You have to remove it to pull out the headlight, which is also exceeding easy to come out.