Hyundai Forum Help & Suggestion Center Need help with HF? Ask! Have a suggestion to better HF? Tell us here..

Surging & Such

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2018, 09:13 AM

Uhhhhhhh.... OK, I'm never going to get those mental images out of my memory Allegretto. But, on the lucky side, the old memory is no longer very uhhh ... well, I forgot the word but, you know what I mean.

Happy to report both Sonatas running great, didn't have time for the bushings but we'll do it soon. The CEL is still on in the I-4 and I haven't had time to get the other code reader hooked up, but the way it's running makes me think I just need to clear the codes and they're only leftover from the battery fiasco.

Also, thanks for the advice on the cruise. That's the first place I look on american cars. Any suggestions as to what to look for on the Sonata are most appreciated.

And hanky, you are certainly correct about the bean counters (what is it with you guys? ... beans and pasta sauce and explosive mannerisms ... ?) They (the bean counters, not the explosive mannerisms) screw up everything the engineers works so tirelessly to mis-design in the first place.

So far as wheelbarrows go, I put my knowledge and expertise into rebuilding mine last summer and then loaned it to my son. A week later he returned a brand new one from Home depot and said "Dad, you've got to stop fixing things!"

Old 12-04-2018, 09:39 AM

Also, thanks for the advice on the cruise. That's the first place I look on american cars. Any suggestions as to what to look for on the Sonata are most appreciated.
Now that you are fully aware of the risks in following any of my advice....
The most likely part to fail is the clock spring in the steering wheel. It's actually not a clock spring. It's a wiring harness that winds up and unwinds as you turn the steering wheel. I have not yet replaced one myself but there are youtubes on the topic.

I suppose once you have it out you could trace all the wires for continuity just to make sure it is indeed the clock spring. It could be anything else in the circuit.

Old 12-05-2018, 03:57 PM

Man, talk about low hanging grapes,
Wanna bet he tried to carry 200# of something and needed somebody to blame , not for breaking the wheelbarrow but for having to go BUY a new one !!

Hey,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,now I know where the old name "Bluewind" came from, and don't worry I can't reveal my sources.

Last edited by hanky; 12-05-2018 at 04:00 PM.
Old 12-30-2019, 09:32 AM

Hello fellow Hyundai owners. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to one and all!

It seems more and more likely these Hyundais have a problem around the Christmas Season. After a year of trouble free service, the '06 started losing power. My daughter has had it at school so I don't have personal experience but ... it seemed to be running normal when she came home for Christmas and then lost a lot of power. Pulled the codes and got a catalytic fault and a cam timing sensor. I hate the thought of even disconnecting the battery this time but, we'll see what happens. Any words of wisdom to offer on changing out the sensor?

Old 12-30-2019, 02:46 PM

Sorry, when it comes to wisdom, I'm out !
Wat if you were to let us know what those codes were so we might ,,,,,,,,,,maybe be able to come up with something, useful?

Guys ,Sincerely wish all a Happy and Healthy New Year. (Hic) *! !!

Old 12-30-2019, 04:37 PM

That's the '06 I 4 you are talking about? I wonder how many miles are on it.

Please give us the actual codes.

If the timing chain skipped a tooth it could have the symptoms you described. Also, if the catalytic converter is falling apart it can clog the silencer and cause excessive back pressure.

I have not replaced a cam position sensor yet.