Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

OMG it seems like they are not great cars

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 02:09 PM
Default RE: OMG it seems like they are not great cars

Nova Resource I had read several of your replies to people who post on this board, and have
read others like you that have several hundred post. I suspect this fourm has Hyundai employees
who really run this fourm.

I suspect you and others like you are in the employ of Hyundai

Old 12-29-2008, 02:14 PM

We love our 2006 automatic Sonata!

Old 12-29-2008, 02:16 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: ken99

Does the Santa Fe even share the clutch assembly with the Sonata?
Hmm, I got curious about this and did some digging. Those familiar with the poor durability of clutches mostly in 2003 and 2004 Santa Fe and Tiburons know that Hyundai deployed some new technology in the dual mass clutch system used in these vehicles. The idea behind the dual mass system was to improve power transfer while reducing shift shock to other drive components. Makes perfect sense in the Tiburon where I would say drivers tend to shift more aggressively (yes/no NoveResource?).
As a former Tib owner, I would have to agree with that statement.

ORIGINAL: newhyundaiowner

Nova Resource I had read several of your replies to people who post on this board, and have read others like you that have several hundred post. I suspect this fourm has Hyundai employees who really run this fourm.

I suspect you and others like you are in the employ of Hyundai
Me? No, I'm just a car fan but I believe you are correct when you say there are Hyundai employees here. I'm just not one of them.

Old 12-29-2008, 02:47 PM

Thanks very much Ken for looking up that info on clutch's I really aperciate the effort you put
into getting that information

Old 12-30-2008, 12:31 AM

We love our 2006 automatic Sonata!
Hmm, you must be one of those Hyundai employees that newhyundaioowner eludes to....

Old 12-31-2008, 10:39 AM

I ve been in the car repair business for over 20 years with the last 9 spent between VW,Benz,Land Rover and Audi (currently). Other than the possibility of that problematic dual-mass flywheel being a possible concern, my experience with "failed" clutches has usually been driver error or learning to drive a manula trans on a new car, rather than learning before you buy as well as "abuse".

2000 Jetta 1.8T - 700 miles. Towed in with a fried clutch. "Dad" tells me that he's been driving the car to "break it in" for Junior and has been driving manual transmissions since he started driving, so "driver error" was an impossibility. "Mr Smith, "Junior" was here 2 days ago to buy clear signal lights from our parts counter and smoked the clutch up the hill on our back lot, trying to take off in 3rd rather than 1st. And I do mean a cloud of smoke,sir. When our receptionist who was out back smoking a cigarette, offered to get the car up the hill for him, he said "I know how to drive a BLANKING stick !!" SILENCE, then agreed to the repair cost.

2006 Audi S4 - 5900 miles. Towed in. Clutch fried. The car had a problem because my son had a 2003 S4 manual before this one and never damaged the clutch. "I need your authorization to remove the trans and inspect the clutch. If in fact there is a hydraulic problem, we will get Audi to warranty it. If not, you will be responsible for the $3300 replacement." AGREES. Upon seperating the trans from the motor, pieces of whats left of the flywheel side of the clutch disc fall to the floor - paper thin. The remains are all in shreds within the bellhousing. The pressure plate side is like new. Concensus ? Junior tried one too many 5000 rpm launches with a 4000lb all-wheel drive vehicle. Since there isn't enough power to break the tires loose, the clutch is what slipped....

I can keep going but other than that "dual-mass" issue and another issue that I know of with some Jetta TDi's, it's usually something like one of those 2 examples...

Old 01-25-2009, 02:34 PM

Most forums are going to highlight problems. That is what they are mainly used for. Problems and complaints. And also solutions. I agree with some of the posts here. You should sell the car. But be warned, if you visit the owners sites for car you are replacing your Hyundai with, you are going to find much of the same. Every car has issues. You just need to find one with issues you can live with. I have an 06 Sonata 3.3L with 45k on it. No problems. Been great. The only real problem I see with Hyundais is resale value. It sucks.