Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

Screen turned black — radio still works

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2019, 12:31 PM
Default Screen turned black — radio still works

I have a 2011 Sonata Limited. Yesterday while I was driving the display just shorted out and turned black and hasn’t come on since. My radio still works and I can use all the buttons on my radio, but Bluetooth won’t connect and the review camera won’t come on. I haven’t damaged it/spilled anything on it. I tried pressing the reset button and pulling out the fuse and plugging it back in, but both options have done nothing. I’m really trying to avoid the high dealer costs, so I’m hoping someone has had experience with this in the past and can lead me to a solution I can do myself. Thanks!

Old 09-28-2019, 11:45 AM

Something you might try,

You might lose any programmed features like power seat, mirrors, radio stations etc.
If you or have someone remove the battery negative cable from the battery and then remove the positive cable from the battery and hold the two cable ends together contacting each other for a few minutes then reconnect the positive cable end back to the battery positive post , then reconnect the negative cable end back on to the negative cable post. . Turn on the ignition and see if the screen comes back on If it takes care of the problem, fine. When you start the vehicle allow the vehicle computer to reset the idle speed by not touching the accelerator pedal for a few minutes.Let us know if this took care of the problem.

Old 11-11-2020, 03:33 PM
Default Did it fix the issue?

[hi, I have the same problem. Did you ever get it fixed?

QUOTE=Jessica Marie;57008]I have a 2011 Sonata Limited. Yesterday while I was driving the display just shorted out and turned black and hasn’t come on since. My radio still works and I can use all the buttons on my radio, but Bluetooth won’t connect and the review camera won’t come on. I haven’t damaged it/spilled anything on it. I tried pressing the reset button and pulling out the fuse and plugging it back in, but both options have done nothing. I’m really trying to avoid the high dealer costs, so I’m hoping someone has had experience with this in the past and can lead me to a solution I can do myself. Thanks![/QUOTE]

Old 07-06-2021, 02:24 PM

Worked well for me!
Many thanks, hanky!

Old 07-07-2021, 07:55 AM

Thank you for the update, always nice to get good news.

Old 11-28-2021, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by Jessica Marie
I have a 2011 Sonata Limited. Yesterday while I was driving the display just shorted out and turned black and hasn’t come on since. My radio still works and I can use all the buttons on my radio, but Bluetooth won’t connect and the review camera won’t come on. I haven’t damaged it/spilled anything on it. I tried pressing the reset button and pulling out the fuse and plugging it back in, but both options have done nothing. I’m really trying to avoid the high dealer costs, so I’m hoping someone has had experience with this in the past and can lead me to a solution I can do myself. Thanks!
Jessica, did you ever figure out how to fix your Sonata? I have a 2011 Sonata with the exact same issue.

Old 11-29-2021, 09:00 AM

Dave Taylor, I also have the same problem. Did you ever figure out a solution?

Originally Posted by Dave Taylor
[hi, I have the same problem. Did you ever get it fixed?

QUOTE=Jessica Marie;57008]I have a 2011 Sonata Limited. Yesterday while I was driving the display just shorted out and turned black and hasn’t come on since. My radio still works and I can use all the buttons on my radio, but Bluetooth won’t connect and the review camera won’t come on. I haven’t damaged it/spilled anything on it. I tried pressing the reset button and pulling out the fuse and plugging it back in, but both options have done nothing. I’m really trying to avoid the high dealer costs, so I’m hoping someone has had experience with this in the past and can lead me to a solution I can do myself. Thanks!
[/QUOTE]

Old 02-21-2022, 09:58 AM

I have a 2012 sonata same problem this did not fix mine what else could be the cause?

Old 02-21-2022, 05:38 PM

Did you look for a blown fuse?

Old 02-21-2022, 06:28 PM
Default Black screen

Originally Posted by hanky
Did you look for a blown fuse?
If it is the yellow one yes still didn't work