Sights N Sounds Post all of your video and sounds clips here.

Metal on metal clunking noise when turning left (rear left noise)

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2019, 07:40 AM
Exclamation Metal on metal clunking noise when turning left (rear left noise)

Hi all,
I'm coming to this forum in desperation for any kind of help with this. Two weeks ago I started noticing a clunk in my left rear end when turning left on a bump or uneven road. 2013 Hyundai accent. It even happens *sometimes* when driving straight and hitting a big enough bump. It's very intermittent because it will happen really bad and loudly some days and others next to none. I noticed it happens more when it's cold out than on warmer days. I had a safety coming up so i asked them to look into it. They came back saying i needed new brakes, rotors and pads and a new caliper. i asked about the noise and he said he couldnt see anything wrong... okay thanks but no thanks. Got my boyfriend to replace the brakes as he's a machinist and knows his way around cars. He said he didnt notice anything when replacing. Also he went for a drive with me and he seems to think it's probably nothing.. and i should ignore it. So i tried for a week to turn my music up and ignore it but at times it clunks so loud i hear it OVER my music.... been driving the car for 6 years and never heard this before, i dont feel i should ignore it. I'm actually concerned it might cause harm to me or my vehicle. Not to mention my car is pulling to the right real strong but yet the garage said it's probably my tires and not an alignment, super helpful right? Don't bother to fix the problem its fiiiiiiine... so now i know i have to get a second opinion but I'm worried I'm going to go through the same thing or they don't hear the noise. Does anyone know what this could be?! and if it sounds dangerous. It sounds like metal on metal and mostly only when turning left..?

Old 10-22-2019, 02:08 PM

I'm not doubting you, but has anyone else heard the noise and agreed it is coming from the left rear and not possibly the left front ?

When it pulls to the right , is this straight ahead with or without any brake application?

Were both rear wheels checked or just the left rear ?
Did anyone check the front suspension and c/v joints ?
As you can see there a lot of possibilities and each needs to be checked and confirmed good before "turning up the radio" really not a good idea.

Old 10-22-2019, 11:20 PM

Check for play in the sway bar link or ball joints.
Sometimes the front sway bar link can make noise that sounds like it is coming from the back.
So, look for play in the joints.

Old 10-23-2019, 05:18 AM

Yes a couple of my friends heard it and it is coming from the rear left for sure. It pulls to the right when driving straight and no brakes applied. Highway and regular street driving. Also yes both rear wheels checked. I told the garage that i went for my safety to check the suspension because of the noise but they didn't give me any feedback just said they didnt find anything that could cause the noise, not sure what they checked. I don't think its a good idea to just ignore the noise for sure just so frustrating that I have to keep pushing for this to be fixed.

Old 10-23-2019, 05:18 AM

That's what I was thinking too. Definitely going to tell them to check that because it keeps being brought up on every forum i check out

Old 10-26-2020, 02:34 PM
Default air vent pressure sound when turning left

So I have a 2017 Tucson and last year, about October, I noticed this odd sound in my air vents only when turning left and only when AC was on. I thought it was odd, made an appointment ad the dealership. When I went for the appointment they couldn't hear the sound so a guy got in the car with me and we did a test drive trying all kinds of things (thats how we narrowed down to only left and only with AC). He said ok I think I know and 5 minutes later came out and said all fixed - no charge. Something about some drain tube for the AC that because I do not park in a garage gets clogged easy and water backs up. When turning left it puts pressure on it. Said that if not fixed by winter and it freezes that it would really make a mess. Well here it is a year later and I am having the same issue. I dont want to take it back to the shop but I dont know where to began to look. I also find it very annoying that this is a yearly thing and only when it starts to get cool outside. Seems a bit odd to me and I honestly think it must be a defect / flaw somewhere.

Old 10-26-2020, 05:17 PM

Sometimes accumulated moisture cannot drain as it is supposed to when the AC system runs . As to whether it is a defect ,can't say without looking
What may be contributing to the problem is where you park the vehicle. If leaves and other small pieces of material get into the drain , you will have a repeating problem.

If you have a shop with a little experience, they will be able to find that "Membrane" drain and make sure it isn't blocked. Other than that , I would hesitate offering any other measures until that was eliminated. .

Old 08-25-2022, 06:15 AM
Default Fixed our issue!!!

I had the same issue on my 2011 Hyundai Tucson and my wife’s 2011 Kia Optima. After having new struts and shocks replaced at a shop and they couldn’t figure it out. So I recently got under the rear end of my vehicle after jacking it up and safely securing it, I noticed a slight movement on the shock bolts that connects to the rear control arm. Both sides where in need of washers as, I believe they were over torqued. After spending less than 5$ on washers and placing them on the not side of the bolt, both our cars are super tight and solid all the way around. Hope this helps!

04/2024 Update: Also check the rear lateral arm with ball joint. Recently had this same issue and my bushing was slightly loose and the ball joint was bad.

Last edited by DaSiganature; 04-22-2024 at 05:48 PM.
Old 08-26-2022, 06:20 PM

Thank you for sharing the fix.

Old 04-22-2024, 05:52 PM
Default Rear lateral arm with ball joint…

Originally Posted by Nico31
Hi all,
I'm coming to this forum in desperation for any kind of help with this. Two weeks ago I started noticing a clunk in my left rear end when turning left on a bump or uneven road. 2013 Hyundai accent. It even happens *sometimes* when driving straight and hitting a big enough bump. It's very intermittent because it will happen really bad and loudly some days and others next to none. I noticed it happens more when it's cold out than on warmer days. I had a safety coming up so i asked them to look into it. They came back saying i needed new brakes, rotors and pads and a new caliper. i asked about the noise and he said he couldnt see anything wrong... okay thanks but no thanks. Got my boyfriend to replace the brakes as he's a machinist and knows his way around cars. He said he didnt notice anything when replacing. Also he went for a drive with me and he seems to think it's probably nothing.. and i should ignore it. So i tried for a week to turn my music up and ignore it but at times it clunks so loud i hear it OVER my music.... been driving the car for 6 years and never heard this before, i dont feel i should ignore it. I'm actually concerned it might cause harm to me or my vehicle. Not to mention my car is pulling to the right real strong but yet the garage said it's probably my tires and not an alignment, super helpful right? Don't bother to fix the problem its fiiiiiiine... so now i know i have to get a second opinion but I'm worried I'm going to go through the same thing or they don't hear the noise. Does anyone know what this could be?! and if it sounds dangerous. It sounds like metal on metal and mostly only when turning left..?
Have your rear lateral arm with ball joint inspected. The bushing and ball joint were bad on my rear LH side.