Hyundai Santa Fe This compact sport utility vehicle offers the buyer the safety of an SUV without the hefty price tag or fuel bill.

Bizarre electrical problem, please help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 08:58 PM

Well...... as I said early they went out on my way to work. After I got to work this morning. I changed the fuse with another fuse out of the fuse box. I think it was the one for the cigarette lighter. It blew right away I thought it was too small amp wise. I called the dealership they said I needed at least a 10 amp fuse. So I went to Autozone on lunch and grabbed a pack. Put it in it seemed okay. Pulling back into the parking lot of work went to use my turn signal again didnt have any. The fuse was blow again. So I changed it again. When I was leaving work to come home changed the fuse again. When I got home the fuse was blown again. I dont understand what is wrong. I am using a 10 amp now which is what it says on the fuse panel that it takes so why does it keep blowing. Should I try a 15 amp in the morning?

Old 05-19-2009, 09:00 PM

I'll have to check that tomorrow after work. Hope it works. Cant afford to have anything major wrong it. I really wanted this car and thought it was the car of my dreams now it seems like my nightmare. Havent even had it a week and the dealership has been told me to kiss off in a not so nice way.

Originally Posted by jsinton
Turn signal relay should be in the fuse box under the hood.

Old 05-20-2009, 04:35 AM
Banned

Turns out you might have one of those turn signal relays on the body control module computer. It's a real PITA to fix, or just replace the BCM for $1000. I suspect that's why the dealer told you to "get lost".

Old 05-20-2009, 06:39 AM

Well, I'll try looking in the fuse box under the hood for the turn signal relay. Thank you for all your help

Old 05-20-2009, 10:20 AM

Could a bad bulb cause all these problems? I dont think but I am just trying to figure this out so I can fix it.

Old 05-24-2009, 07:52 AM
Banned

Here's a really good thread with a post from Novaresource on exactly the steps necessary to replace the turn signal relay on the BCM, it gives you an idea of what a pain the the **** it is:

https://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/s...n+signal+relay

Old 05-24-2009, 12:28 PM

Thanks for all your help. The dealership finally decided to do the right thing.....i had to call an attorney about the lemon law and also contacted the bbb. but they are finally fixing it and they are even comping me a rental car. Turns out it was their fault actually.....when i got the car the clock was broke. They said they would replace it but in the mean time they would disconnect it. Turns out they just left the wire hanging and it shorting the wiring harness.

Old 10-20-2009, 02:25 PM
Default More electrical weirdness cruise control

My cruise control died. What I discovered was that my tail brake lights had blown, thanks to my wife following me one night, and the circuit for the cruise control is in series with the brake lights. Once I replaced the brake lights the cruise control works again...