Hyundai Sonata The Sonata has grown to be the premier mid-sized sedan of the Hyundai name with the many interior options and the powerful V6 engine.

Install new front brake pads and rotors

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2021, 06:11 PM
Default Install new front brake pads and rotors

Gents; Thought I would give u my two cents worth concerning brakes. Added brake pads and rotors to my 2007 Sonata and noticed quite a difference from my old brake setup. I installed the pictured rotors almost 8 years ago. As you can see the old rotor is slotted and drilled.....I believed the hype so bought a set. I suppose if going autobahn speeds and applying the brakes often to avoid traffic these rotors would be the ticket. However, in my case they are overkill. First of all when you apply the brakes with any force other than lite, they sound like you are encountering the rumble bumps on the sides of the road. Next, they wear the pads faster due to all the slotted edges. I guess I got used to them but I always noticed the noise and worn out pads which I feel was premature. Since there is a fare amount of wear on my fancy rotors, I went with replacement rotors and decided to go stock. I'm glad I did because I immediately noticed, when applying the brakes, there is no rumble. Not only that but I went with ceramic pads instead of the metal pads and notice I don't have to apply as much pressure to stop...the better brake action could be due to more surface and smoother area of the rotor disk but I don't know. All I really care about is that the brakes are better now. Hope some of you gents can use this info.

Old 08-17-2021, 07:38 PM

Keep an eye on the rotors. If the rotors are not for ceramic pads,the pads can do a job on the rotors.

Old 08-17-2021, 09:19 PM

Hanky; I paid $10 bucks extra for each rotor. They stated they are "premium" and guarantee very little runout.....don't like a shaking brake pedal.. the company didn't state anything about being compatible with ceramic pads though. I usually check my brakes rarely but after your comment, I'll check them more often. Thanks my friend.. .